Need to knows
- The force of cohesion
- Water Element associated with pitta
- Nourishment, Lubrication, Repair
- Spring season
Wet, Cold, Heavy, Soft, Moist, Oily, Static
Stomach, Lungs, Sinuses, Joints
Positive Qualities Downside qualities
*Means hug (bring together) *Suffocation of people
*Grounded *Can get complacent
*Safety *Out of balance can mean lower motivation
*Go with the flow personality *Slower metabolism
- Kaphas do best with drying diets- spicy, crunchy foods & a predominance of green vegetables
- Tendency to overeat which causes the stomach lining to become more liquid which contributes to overproduction of mucus = colds, congestion, asthma, water retention
- 2-3 meals a day are best for kaphas
- Best foods- Astringent grains such as millet, buckwheat, pomegranates, leafy greens, lemons & grapefruit
- Spices- Fennel, pepper, cloves, cinnamon, go big with spices
- Lemon & honey are your pals
- Body at rest stays at rest
- Heaviness feeling
- Designed to give
- Declutter- kaphas tend to collect things
- Stimulate the senses daily- explore new places, sights, sounds, colors, etc.
- Get to bed early 6-8 hours of sleep ideal for kaphas not 10 as you might think
- Chew on fennel- instead of snacking sip hot water & toasted fennel seeds
- Digest your meals before ingesting your next meal
- Decongest- neti pot
How to find if kapha is off?
Typically habits are off. Not as lively they get out of their exercise, nutrition routines, need lighter foods, sat to long recently.
- High intensity, group environment more inviting, compound exercises, morning movement to start the day essential for kaphas
- Dry brush every day – helps with circulation
- Wake up & move- 10 minutes is good, 20 minutes great
- 1/3 food, 1/3 water, 1/3 space when eating to see room for digestion
- Spice is your friend as are honey & lemon
- Go to bed early & get up at dawn for movement practice
- Move, move, move
10 Minute Kapha Yoga Practice
Learn more about your Dosha below!
Looking for more about each dosha or to find out which dosha you are, check out the find your dosha quiz for even more vata, pitta & kapha information!